The Kennet and Avon Canal
The Kennet and Avon Canal, which runs from Bristol to Reading, took 16 years to construct. It was opened in 1810 and used to transport many products by barge and narrow boat along its route. However the coming of the railways took away much of its trade and as time passed the canal fell into disrepair.
Restoration work by the Kennet and Avon Canal Trust, British Waterways and local authorities that began in 1975 resulted in the canal being reopened in 1990. This event was celebrated by a visit from Her Majesty The Queen. Restoration work on the 86 mile length continues.
Bradford on Avon offers angling and boating on the canal, while the particularly attractive mile and a half stretch to Avoncliff is a popular walk. Built with stone from local quarries Avoncliff aqueduct was designed by canal engineer and architect John Rennie.
Boat trips from the wharf on the Frome Road run regularly in the season.